Marine Invasive Species Program
Updates about regulations, statutes, stakeholder communications, technical advisory groups, and legislation.
- Letter on the Approval of Biofouling Management Regulations On October 1, 2017, biofouling management regulations to minimize the transport of nonindigenous species from vessels arriving at California ports (Article 4.8) will go into effect. The Commission approved the regulations on April 20, 2017 and the California Office of Administrative Law approved them on August 14, 2017.
- Use of Ballast Water Management Systems in California Waters On July 24, 2017, Commission staff issued a letter to all vessel owners, operators, and agents approving the use of U.S. Coast Guard Type Approved Ballast Water Management Systems and U.S. Coast Guard accepted Alternate Management Systems to manage ballast water prior to discharge in California waters.
- April 2017 Program Update Letter This letter covers two Marine Invasive Species Program updates. First, the Commission recently adopted Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process regulations, which took effect on July 1, 2017. The second update clarifies the ports of arrival for which vessels must submit a Ballast Water Management Report.
- Vessel Fee Increased to $1,000 Effective April 1, 2017. On December 6, 2016, the Commission approved regulations that increase the fee paid by vessels with a qualifying voyage arrival at a California port. (Public Resources Code, § 71215.) The fee was increased from $850 to $1,000. The Board of Equalization began collecting the revised fee on April 1, 2017. The fee is deposited into the Marine Invasive Species Control Fund and funds the state's Marine Invasive Species Program.
- The Commission approved the 2017 Biennial Report on the California Marine Invasive Species Program The report covers the MISP activities and accomplishments between July 2014 and June 2016. The report also summarizes next steps to continue to fulfill the Commission's mandate of moving the state expeditiously toward eliminating nonindigenous species discharges into state waters.
- 2017 Letter to Agents regarding Submittal of Required Reporting Forms
Information and Resources
- CHAPTER 1. General Provisions 71200-71202
- CHAPTER 2. Ballast Water Management Requirements 71203-71210.5
- CHAPTER 3. Research and Program Evaluation 71211-71213
- CHAPTER 4. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund 71215
- CHAPTER 5. Civil and Criminal Penalties and Liability 71216-71217
- CHAPTER 6. Repeal 71271
- Article 4.5. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund Fee
- Article 4.6. Ballast Water Regulations for Vessels operating within the Pacific Coast Region
- Article 4.7. Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water for Vessels Operating in California Waters
- Article 4.8. The Collection of Information Relating to the Hull Husbandry Practices of Vessels for Control of Marine Invasive Species in Waters of California
- Article 4.9. Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process
Assistant Chief, Marine Environmental Protection
Nicole Dobroski (916) 574-0742
Ballast Water Performance Standards/Treatment Technologies
Jonathan Thompson (916) 574-2276
Biofouling and Ballast Water
Raya Nedelcheva (916) 574-2568
Chris Scianni (562) 499-6390
Jackie Mackay (562) 499-6312