Marine Invasive Species Program
Updates about regulations, statutes, stakeholder communications, technical advisory groups, and legislation.
- Feasibility Study of Shore-Based Ballast Water Reception and Treatment Facilities in California
The Delta Stewardship Council has posted the final report evaluating the feasibility of shore-based ballast water reception and treatment facilities in California.
- 2018 Letter to Agents regarding Biofouling and Reporting Requirements
This letter provides information about the implementation of biofouling management requirements and a reminder about existing reporting requirements.
- Guidance Document for Biofouling Management Regulations to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
This guidance document summarizes the requirements of the Marine Invasive Species Program's new biofouling management regulations that are effective October 1, 2017. The guidance document also includes a Frequently Asked Questions section and an example Biofouling Management Plan template.
- Use of Ballast Water Management Systems in California Waters
On July 24, 2017, Commission staff issued a letter to all vessel owners, operators, and agents approving the use of U.S. Coast Guard Type Approved Ballast Water Management Systems and U.S. Coast Guard accepted Alternate Management Systems to manage ballast water prior to discharge in California waters.
- Join a Marine Invasive Species e-list to receive the latest information on regulations and upcoming customer service meetings.
Submit your reporting forms online!
Information and Resources
- CHAPTER 1. General Provisions 71200-71202
- CHAPTER 2. Ballast Water Management Requirements 71203-71210.5
- CHAPTER 3. Research and Program Evaluation 71211-71213
- CHAPTER 4. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund 71215
- CHAPTER 5. Civil and Criminal Penalties and Liability 71216-71217
- CHAPTER 6. Repeal 71271
- Article 4.5. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund Fee
- Article 4.6. Ballast Water Regulations for Vessels operating within the Pacific Coast Region
- Article 4.7. Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water for Vessels Operating in California Waters
- Article 4.8. Biofouling Management to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
- Article 4.9. Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process
Assistant Chief, Marine Environmental Protection
Nicole Dobroski (916) 574-0742
Ballast Water Performance Standards/Treatment Technologies
Jonathan Thompson (916) 574-2276
Biofouling and Ballast Water
Raya Nedelcheva (916) 574-2568
Chris Scianni (562) 499-6390
Jackie Mackay (562) 499-6312