Marine Invasive Species Program
Updates about regulations, statutes, stakeholder communications, technical advisory groups, and legislation.
- Feasibility Study of Shore-Based Ballast Water Reception and Treatment Facilities in California
The Delta Stewardship Council has posted the final report evaluating the feasibility of shore-based ballast water reception and treatment facilities in California.
- 2018 Letter to Agents regarding Biofouling and Reporting Requirements
This letter provides information about the implementation of biofouling management requirements and a reminder about existing reporting requirements.
- Webinar on California's Biofouling Management Regulations
The Marine Invasive Species Program presented a webinar in September 2017 to provide clarity and guidance about California's new biofouling management regulations to minimize the transfer into state waters of nonindigenous species from vessels arriving at California ports.
- 2017 Letter to Agents regarding Submittal of Required Reporting Forms
(UPDATED September 25, 2017)
As of October 1, 2017, all vessels must submit the Marine Invasive Species Program Annual Vessel Reporting Form 24 hours in advance of the first arrival at a California port for each calendar year. If a vessel arrived at a California port in 2017 prior to October 1, this form is not required for 2017.
- Guidance Document for Biofouling Management Regulations to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
This guidance document summarizes the requirements of the Marine Invasive Species Program's new biofouling management regulations that are effective October 1, 2017. The guidance document also includes a Frequently Asked Questions section and an example Biofouling Management Plan template.
- Letter on the Approval of Biofouling Management Regulations
On October 1, 2017, biofouling management regulations to minimize the transport of nonindigenous species from vessels arriving at California ports (Article 4.8) will go into effect. The Commission approved the regulations on April 20, 2017 and the California Office of Administrative Law approved them on August 14, 2017.
- Use of Ballast Water Management Systems in California Waters
On July 24, 2017, Commission staff issued a letter to all vessel owners, operators, and agents approving the use of U.S. Coast Guard Type Approved Ballast Water Management Systems and U.S. Coast Guard accepted Alternate Management Systems to manage ballast water prior to discharge in California waters.
- April 2017 Program Update Letter
This letter covers two Marine Invasive Species Program updates. First, the Commission recently adopted Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process regulations, which took effect on July 1, 2017. The second update clarifies the ports of arrival for which vessels must submit a Ballast Water Management Report.
- Join a Marine Invasive Species e-list to receive the latest information on regulations and upcoming customer service meetings.
Submit your reporting forms online!
Information and Resources
- CHAPTER 1. General Provisions 71200-71202
- CHAPTER 2. Ballast Water Management Requirements 71203-71210.5
- CHAPTER 3. Research and Program Evaluation 71211-71213
- CHAPTER 4. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund 71215
- CHAPTER 5. Civil and Criminal Penalties and Liability 71216-71217
- CHAPTER 6. Repeal 71271
- Article 4.5. Marine Invasive Species Control Fund Fee
- Article 4.6. Ballast Water Regulations for Vessels operating within the Pacific Coast Region
- Article 4.7. Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water for Vessels Operating in California Waters
- Article 4.8. Biofouling Management to Minimize the Transfer of Nonindigenous Species from Vessels Arriving at California Ports
- Article 4.9. Marine Invasive Species Act Enforcement and Hearing Process
Assistant Chief, Marine Environmental Protection
Nicole Dobroski (916) 574-0742
Ballast Water Performance Standards/Treatment Technologies
Jonathan Thompson (916) 574-2276
Biofouling and Ballast Water
Raya Nedelcheva (916) 574-2568
Chris Scianni (562) 499-6390
Jackie Mackay (562) 499-6312